Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ode to Clara

First of all, I want to start off by saying, let's hear it for music classes! In what other major can you find three credit courses offered for only one credit, but still pack the punch of the three credit workload?! Yay for being a music major!!

Anyways...

As a part of my major I have to take three history-type courses titled Music Lit 1,2, and 3. ("Lit", I'm assuming, is short for literature. Just a guess.) My last semester proved to be completely dull and a chore. This semester, however, has been quite different. I have really enjoyed all of it! Our teacher is very organized, adorable, engaging, and super smart to top it all off. This past week we've been continuing our study of the Romantic era, and as part of it, we learned about Robert Schumann and his wife, Clara.
I just want to give a shout out to Clara Schumann! I think she's super cool.

First of all, she was a child prodigy, sort of like Mozart, but not so much in compositions - mostly performing. She was touring and performing with major musicians of the day by age 9! Then, at 16, she met Robert and they fell in love. For four years she had to battle to keep their relationship and love alive because of her father's disapproval of it all (he didn't want his little girl to have to step out of the lime light for something as silly as marriage). Then, when they did marry (after a lengthy court case and a not-so-happy-ending with her father), she put her music aside to support her husband, and her, eventually, eight children! She remained totally faithful to her husband throughout his career, his severe mental illness, and his death, which left her a widow of eight children at age 37! But, she didn't stop there! To keep his illness and attempted suicide from shadowing his great work, Clara started performing her husbands compositions after his death. This is what she did for most of the remainder of her life, and she lived a long one. She successfully raised all of her children, outlived many of them, and kept Robert Schumann's music alive. She is the main reason why we are so familiar with many of his works today!

So, once again - can I get a little shout-out for Clara? Way to be, girl.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Yes, I remember being super impressed with ol' Clara when I learned about her. I couldn't have told you why before I read this post though. Thanks for refreshing my memory, nerd. Love ya!