Thursday, March 10, 2011

Anne-girl


I finished. I finally finished the Anne of Green Gables series, and can I just say, they fulfill every heart hunger in me? When I die, I know I want to meet L.M. Montgomery. I can honestly say that she is a wise woman. She must truly be a "kindred spirit".

Maybe it's just the romantic in me. Maybe it's my love of other beautiful worlds that are not my own, but I love this series. Fictional? - yes. A little dramatic sometimes? - maybe. But so true! - and sometimes, so exactly what I needed to hear. This last book especially. I don't think it's coincidence that I ended up reading Rilla of Ingleside this particular semester. I don't think it's coincidence that I found myself connecting with Rilla's experiences in a very real and personal way. Not that our lives are the same by any means. I never have, and probably never will, go through all of the things she had to endure in just the four years that this book covers. However, every girl, at some point, goes through a time when she realizes she can be, and needs to be, more than she is. I think that's what Rilla felt, and I feel that way now. I can do more than I'm doing, and I need to do it!

Another revelatory moment for me - life is not always perfect (I know, you're shocked). In fact, I would say it never is. But, "the Kingdom of Heaven - and of love - and of happiness - doesn't depend on externals". I would say we decide how perfect life is by how we react to it, and what we put into it. These books have helped solidify that in me.

It's easy for me - little baby, naive me - to get discouraged trying to look to the future for answers and seeing only "a bend" in my road. It's a bend that I can't see around, yet, because I'm not there yet. I can't honestly say that I've ever had a clear view of what the path in front of me looks like, but I had an idea, and it all seems very confusing now. But I'm learning to replace fear and uncertainty with hope, hope for the future - a beautiful and promising future. I think Anne says it best -

"When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla."





1 comment:

Bethany said...

Amen.